Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31

Thread: How do you collect?

  1. #21
    Inactive Member supernonamegirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 11th, 2005
    Posts
    104
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm not entirely sure yet as I'm just getting back into it, but so far I'm unintentionally even so I think I might continue that way. It makes sense.
    However, most of my handmade outfits seem to be for Kirsten because they're easier to find.
    I don't think I'll collect any accesories or furniture, but that may change. It would be nice to have more creative ways of setting them up.

  2. #22
    Inactive Member kitschywoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 12th, 2004
    Posts
    394
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I admit to being a bit...err...random in my collecting. I love the AGOT's, but I only buy the dolls and outfits that I really like. I also like Felicity, but, again, I only buy the outfits and accessories that I like. Then there are outfits and accessories that I covet from dolls that I don't even own, like Kit and Molly. I'll be buying parts of their collections, and I'm not even sure if I'm ever going to own the dolls.

    I also have tons of handmade outfits. Not because I don't want to buy Pleasant Company. It just bothers me that my doll could show up at a party wearing the same outfit as another doll. [img]tongue.gif[/img] We value originality very highly in my house.

    So my collection is just a huge mishmash of dolls, outfits, accessories and a few select pieces of furniture. [img]redface.gif[/img]

    <font color="#051E50" size="1">[ August 11, 2005 07:05 PM: Message edited by: kitschywoman ]</font>

  3. #23
    Inactive Member rafferty's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 5th, 2005
    Posts
    359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The dolls we have are DD's. We usually just collect what she likes. We do have complete sets of the limited edition dolls. I do think we will try to complete the collections for Felicty and Elizabeth because of family ties to Williamsburg and we do travel there quite often. I also will buy anything we don't have that I can find at Estate Sales, etc. DD likes the beds for the most part and loves all of the accessories.

    BTW, Ria, I don't think you are a psychopath! [img]wink.gif[/img]

    Shelly

  4. #24
    Inactive Member Skittl1321's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 26th, 2005
    Posts
    1,310
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I buy book based outfits for all the girls. I have an AGoT and I am trying to decide if she needs new clothes as well (she has been in a girl scout uniform since 1996).

    Once I get all the book based outfits (not to many left...) I will get other outfits and some of the accessories, such as the doll's doll and things like the guitar that the dolls can easily hold.

    I have no kids who play with the dolls so I don't really do accessories. If I ever get a doll room I hope to set scenes up so then I would get some accessories.

    I get all the historical dolls that are released with story collections. I plan to add Nellie and Elizabeth soon.

    I got Marisol because I just thought she was gorgeous and wanted the spotlight tutu. I don't know if I will get other LEs now...

  5. #25
    Inactive Member allthingsag's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 30th, 2005
    Posts
    210
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    As my name implies I'm hooked on all Ag and am trying to amass a complete collection for Felicity, Molly, Kirsten, Addy, Smantha, Nellie, Kit, Elizabeth & Lindsey (Lindsey being my AGOT) I'm one item short for Felicity, two for Samantha, 29 for Addy, 22 for Kirsten, 8 for Molly. I only have 4 items for Kit (no doll). I have Lindsey and her items and I have Elizabeth and her accessories. I have one item for Nellie (no doll).

    I am definitely a spoiled grandmother. I rationalize that I will someday leave them to my granddaughter and she will have them for her daughter. In the meantime I just enjoy them.

    <font color="#051E50" size="1">[ August 12, 2005 07:28 AM: Message edited by: allthingsag ]</font>

  6. #26
    Inactive Member chrysa1is's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2005
    Posts
    156
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ideally... I'd like to collect the entire collection ... I mean the ENTIRE collection, including all the GOML, HSH, and Bitty Babies.

    The Modified version is that I'd like to have a complete "original" collection of Felicity to put on display in a cabinet. Meaning the first issues of all of her different items. This is my big goal.

    I would also like to have the complete collections for the LE dolls.

    Reality is that I am happy with my unsigned Felicity and Marisol doll wise, but would like to get lots of outfits that I like for them while working towards getting a complete collection even if not first version of Felicity's items to put with my signed Felicity. Outfits first, then furniture.

    I'm still holding out on getting attached to Elizabeth. Most likely I will try to get all of her items to go with ym complete Felicity collection, as being a friend doll, she is technically part of it. But it's not a priority.

    Since I collect for myself and ahve a limited budget, that works for now.

  7. #27
    Inactive Member kboyd912's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 16th, 2004
    Posts
    157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Felicity was my first doll and only historical, so I'm trying to get all her things - but I can't afford the accessories sets that are retired, so she is going to have to do without those for a while! We should start a thread on how to make stand-in accessories for the frugal Felicity! [img]smile.gif[/img]

    I have to admit I have picked up some of the other girls' short story outfits, just in case I (or DD) had a change of heart later and decided on another doll(s).

  8. #28
    Inactive Member Katie from IL's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 5th, 2005
    Posts
    952
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I always purchase and read the books first! I like to see them not as dolls but as characters, and that what I see whenever I look into their faces.

    Then I always get the mini doll at the bookstore, which is a cheaper way to get acquainted with the dolls. Then later on I get the full sized doll. However, I only have the LEs and main characters(and 1 AGOT-see my profile). I don't have Nellie and I don't plan on getting Elizabeth or any of the friends. However I do have the Nellie mini-doll and will get the Elizabeth mini-doll.

    The other dolls i have-AGT 19, Hallie, bitty twins and my new Teen trends doll are like my pretend kids-they're all siblings. I'd like to write a story about them. I bought a few composition books during the back-to-school sales so I could write some stories.

    I have not decided if I will get the next LE. I got Marisol not because I wanted all the LEs but because she's from Chicago and moves to Des Plaines, which is where I grew up. And I initially got Lindsey because she's the only Jewish doll and I'm Jewish. I don't remember why I got Kailey. I probably saw her at AGPC and wanted her.

    However if a new "era" historical comes out, I will probably get it, i.e. a Pilgrim, or a 19cen. immigrant, or especially a 1960s doll!

    Right before I moved a few months ago I got all 8 dolls' dolls at once because I did want them and with the code and the fact they went on sale I jumped on it. I only have the dolls in their meet outfits and acces., their dolls, and the mini dolls. I don't have any furniture and very few additional accessories. I'd love to get the school desks and set up a little school but I have absolutely no space and not much extra $.

    The only AG things I plan to get in the next few months are the new Eliz. book, mini doll, Felicity paper dolls, Felicity mini if she has a different outfit, and eventually I want to replace my story collections with the new 6-book sets.

    <font color="#051E50" size="1">[ August 11, 2005 11:25 PM: Message edited by: Katie from IL ]</font>

  9. #29
    Inactive Member PrincessRuthie's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 19th, 2004
    Posts
    2,054
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I want what I like, but I don't always get what I want. Being in my late teens, it's hard to still want to continue my collection when other teens have given up their AGs already. Plus, there's the money side. I haven't learned to drive, yet, so I can't have a job. But even if I did drive, I have no car, and I'm too busy for a job!

    Anyway, back to AG. My mom'll get me misc. things every once in awhile. I don't get too much; my last order was of Lissie's original meet accessories and her nightshift. But then again, I don't want too much because I don't have a lot of room. I like to set up scenes of the girls when I can though. I'm fortunate to have Sam's Scenes and Settings and almost all of Kit's bedtime collection (minus the trunk that I covet!). My other furniture is not AG and comes secondhand. I'll just find room in my room for the historicals' rooms. For instance, Kit has her attic bedroom, Felicity and Elizabeth are at Miss Manderly's, Sam and Nellie have their bedroom, Molly has hers, and there is an itty bitty AGT room. I don't have many of the outfits, but I try and get the ones I like or the ones that are near retirement if I can. I also like to get the dolls' dolls, and I have all of the ones for the historicals I collect (Felicity, Sam, Nellie, Kit, Molly).
    I have often considered getting all of the historicals, but right now I think I don't need to. I get a doll based on whether her stories and her overall appearance and personality appeal to me. Since I'm at 8 American Girls right now, it's also a space issue. I kind of want Josefina, but I think my Marisol as Clara will do the trick. I'll make sacrifices like that. My other AGTs/Gotz are timetravelers, too. I just don't want too many dolls on one hand, but I want more and more all the time. It's getting hard to restrain myself! I know I collect the dolls mostly, but maybe I do need to restrict myself to the collections!!

  10. #30
    Inactive Member carolinapooh's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 8th, 2005
    Posts
    631
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    This is embarrassing...I am far from a purist (with exception to Felicity) but I just tend to get what I like. I am really drawn to the retired AGT items (my complete cooking set from eBay arrived today and I am like a kid at Christmas!) and the accessories from back then, though what I'll do with them I don't know. Lots of albums, I guess!

    At the sale next year, I'll be looking for Kit's desk and Addy's trunk, which are the two pieces of BIG furniture that I really want. I'd also like to have Molly's table and chairs with a couple of extra chairs. I'd like to have the dishes sets and treat sets for each historical, whether I have the doll or not.

    I'd like to be more organized, but I'm not, and I probably will never be. I'm happy with my hodgepodgy collection; I think it's as unique as I am! [img]graemlins/smarty.gif[/img]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •